"....Your children shall be like olive plants all around your table." Psalm 128:3

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Whole Wheat Flaxseed Waffles

Waffles are a favorite breakfast food with my children, but I wanted to make them healthier than the typical white flour version.

So I substitute whole wheat flour for the white flour, and I also add whole flax seed  - for extra fiber and a good dose of Omega-3s. My children hardly noticed the difference. In fact, I now have to double the recipe to have enough to feed all of them.   :)

Here's the recipe.......


Whole Wheat Flaxseed Waffles

2 eggs
1 3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1/4 c. white flour
4 t. baking powder
1 T. sugar
1/2 t. salt
1/4 c. whole flaxseed

Heat waffle iron. Beat eggs til fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients
til smooth. Pour batter onto hot waffle iron. Bake til done.
Makes 9 or 10 waffles.
Enjoy!




"Give us this day our daily bread."  -  Matthew 6:11

Have a blessed day,









Linked up at http://time-warp-wife.blogspot.com
                      http://theimperfecthousewife.com
                      http://www.raisingmightyarrows.com 
                      www.deeprootsathome.com

8 comments:

  1. I love wholewheat flax seed waffles! Thanks for sharing your recipe. ((HUGS))

    PS: How was camp?!?

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lisa, how delicious they look :)

    I wonder if they could be made with almond flour or coconut? Something to look into.

    Be blessed,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those look delicious! I'm definitely copying down this recipe :)

    In His Love,
    Maiden Princess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm - those look yummy! I keep seeing all these wonderful waffle recipes. I may need to get a waffle iron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i can't wait to try it! I have a circus themed waffle iron that needs to be taken out of its box : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't thought of adding flaxseed to my waffle batter - great idea! I'll have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I may have to try this recipe! Thanks for your comment on my blog! Can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it a joy to reform recipes so that they are more wholesome and nutritious! We've done a great deal of recipe changing - especially over the past year and a half after discovering we needed to eat gluten-free. Waffles were - once upon a time - a favorite of mine. This motivates me to begin a search for a GF recipe...
    God bless,
    Emily Rose @ Simply Vintagegirl

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love to hear from my readers, and your thoughts are welcome. And I try my best to respond to each and every comment. :)