"....Your children shall be like olive plants all around your table." Psalm 128:3

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Honeysuckle Jelly

                                                                                  

By now, it's pretty obvious that I have been on a jelly-making kick this spring. After making the rose petal jelly, I was wondering, "Hmmm...what next?"

 The answer to that question came one evening while my hubby and I were watching our children suck nectar out of the honeysuckle blossoms that grow along our fence row.  He asked, "Can you make honeysuckle jelly?"  I wasn't sure, so I researched it and found a recipe.

My family (and others that I've given samples to) tells me that this jelly faintly tastes like honey....and as you can see, it definitely has the beautiful golden color of honey.

1. You will need 3 qts. of blossoms.  Make sure they are open blossom, but not old ones.  (The yellow blossoms have more flavor than the white ones.)  Pick through the flowers and rinse them well to remove insects and dirt.  And please make sure they have not been treated with chemicals!

2.  Put the blossoms in a Dutch oven and add just enough water to cover them.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat, cover,  and simmer for 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and refrigerate at least overnite.  You can refrigerate the infusion for several days for a stronger flavor.

3. When you're ready to make the jelly, strain the flowers from the water.  Measure the liquid. You should have about 4 cups. Put liquid into a heavy pot; add 1 tsp. lemon juice and 1 1/2 boxes of powdered pectin.  Stir well.

4. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Add 5 c. sugar - all at once. Continue stirring and return to a rolling boil.  Boil for 1 minute, continuing to stir.

5.  Remove from heat. Skim as needed to remove foam. Ladle hot jelly into clean 1/2 pint jars. Add lids and rings. Process in hot water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.  Leave in hot water 10 more minutes.  Remove jars from water; let sit overnite before moving.  Makes about 8 1/2 pint jars.

                                                                       


 Psalm 119:103  "How sweet are Your words to my taste, 
                             Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"

5 comments:

  1. I've never heard of honeysuckle jelly! I used to love to stop and smell the flowers when I was little. It brought me so much joy.

    Thanks for the information. Maybe someday I'll try it. Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I've never made my own jelly, but it sure sounds like fun!

    Stopping into visit you from the Thursday Link-up at The Imperfect Housewife :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been years since I've had honeysuckle jelly! Thank you for sharing the recipe:) I'm stopping by from Thursday Link Up:)

    Michelle
    Faith on fire

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOO sounds delicious! Gonna have to give it a try! Stopping in from the Thursday Link-Up at The Imperfect Housewife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is soooooo neat! I have made crab apple jelly but not like any of the ones you have made. Wished you lived closer so I could taste some of these jellies. [o=

    Blessings<><
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by. I love to hear from my readers, and your thoughts are welcome. And I try my best to respond to each and every comment. :)